Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Easy Hummus Recipe


If you've never tried Hummus, you've been missing out. Hummus is a Mediterranean dish made from pureed chickpeas (garbanzo beans.)It's delicious on sandwiches or as a dip for veggies. There are many varieties and flavors; if you don't like it one way then that only means that you haven't found "your" secret ingredient.


The basic ingredients are:Cooked Chickpeas,Garlic,Olive Oil,Lemon Juice.


Israelis add Tahini, which is a paste made from sesame seeds (like peanut butter, but from sesame seeds). Tahini is a critical ingredient to Israelis; I don't like it, and I make my hummus without it, like the Greeks do.


I can't give you an exact recipe because I don't use one; I just:


1)Put my cooked chickpeas in the food processor and add:

A garlic clove

Some lemon zest, and juice of 1 lemon

Salt

Cumin (optional)


Blend till smooth, adding water as necessary, tasting and adjusting seasonings.


Variations include: Adding roasted peppers, fresh herbs such as cilantro, dill, or parsley, cayenne pepper for a little kick. Be creative! There are many things you can do, it just depends on your taste.

For a nice presentation, spread the hummmus on a shallow dish, with an "edge" higher than the rest, and a slight depression in the center. Sprinkle with paprika and drizzle with extra virgin olive oil; add some olives if you'd like.
I serve this with Roasted Eggplant and Couscous Tabouli Salad, with pita bread for dipping or making sandwiches.
Here is a video showing the basic steps for making Hummus. It's not my video; I don't use all of the same ingredients. But it shows the main idea and what it should look like when you're done. Because there are so many variations, you can take some, all, or none of the ones shown here.
Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Related Posts with Thumbnails

Find us On Facebook