Friday, July 17, 2009

Challah Recipe

When I was growing up, we used to buy our challah from the Publix bakery. (Publix is a supermarket in Florida; I don't know if they're around the country)Publix makes a GOOD challah. (They also make great sheet cake)
Yes! I made this delicious looking challah. Freshly ground whole wheat and delicious!
The name of this bread, "challah" is so due to the word "separate." A challah has a small amount separated and offered to G-d. I never knew this until I moved to Israel; I always thought that challah was just a yummy egg bread.
Here is the Bible reference:
Numbers 15:17-21 The LORD instructed Moses: 18 "Speak to the Israelites and tell them: After you enter the land where I am bringing you, 19 you are to offer a contribution to the LORD when you eat from the food of the land. 20 You are to offer a loaf from your first batch of dough as a contribution; offer it just like a contribution from the threshing floor. 21 Throughout your generations, you are to give the LORD a contribution from the first batch of your dough.


When I learned the importance of using freshly ground flour and started making my own bread, I needed a good challah recipe. I tried variations, but this one has been the best so far.

RECIPE
1 3/4 c water
1/3 c oil
2/3 c honey
1 1/2 tbsp yeast
2 tsp salt
2 eggs, set a little of one egg white aside
6 1/2 c freshly ground whole wheat flour
1/4-1/2 raisins (optional. But I always use them.)

Combine water, oil, honey and yeast, and eggs. Add half the flour and salt, mix. Add the rest of the flour and knead until smooth and elastic (about 10-15 mins). Let rise till double. Shape, adding raisins if desired. Let rise till double again. Bake at 325F for about 25 mins. Brush with slightly beaten egg white for the last 5 mins of baking.
This recipe makes 2 small loaves (usually a regular 3 braid) or one large (4 or 6 braid).
I have better luck getting it to rise and be big and puffy if I do a large loaf, with a braid using 4 strands. Below is a video showing one way to braid with 6; there are many ways. Do whatever you like and enjoy!
If you want to know more about challah, here are some articles and other recipes:

Shabbat Shalom!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Related Posts with Thumbnails

Find us On Facebook